Thursday, September 22, 2011

Scones, Glorious Scones...

One day I was in the mood for scones.  Oh, yes, the honest-to-goodness, flaky, biscuity scone.  And I had some limes.  And coconut.  And I sang...

And my kids told me not to.

But they'll eat my scones.


 Lime in the Coconut Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Zest of 2 limes
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 cube cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pices
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.  Cut the mutter into the dry mixture with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add coconut and mix.  Pour in the heavy cream and the 1/4 cup lime juice, stirring only just until dough forms.
Using hands, gently form the dough into ball.  Transfer to a parchment-lined cookie sheet and press into an 8 inch disk.  Cut into 8 wedges and slightly separate scones about 1 inch apart.  Bake until golden and a toothick insrted into the center is clean, 12-14 minutes.  Transfer scones to a cooling rack and cool about 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar with the 1 tablespoon of lime juice and stir until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cooled scones. Enjoy them with a cup of tea, some milk, or just gobble them down like we did.

I'm linking up here: The Finer Things in Life

Tidy Mom

Nothing But CountryTempt my Tummy Tuesdays 




4 comments:

sierra said...

I'm doing these with lemon tomorrow. Do you think they will taste alright? :)

Mom of 12 said...

Those look so yummy! My kids love scones, but in Utah they are fried like donuts. I'll have to try this kind.
Sandy

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

I've saved your lime scone recipe. I LOVE scones! Thanks for sharing, and have a wonderful weekend.

Chef in Training said...

yum! These look and sound AMAZING! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...