Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A new year, and the old revisited...


Once again we are at the bittersweet time of year, when the yearly odometer flips its number and 2012 becomes 2013.  
I like to have a theme for my new year.  I'm nerdy like that.  My word for last year was THRIVE.  I love that word.  It makes me think of growing and fulfilling my destiny, and other such amazing things.  I'm not sure if I "thrived" this year {maybe it was more like "survived" the year} but I'm still planning on keeping the idea of thriving near and dear.
I'll talk more about my word for 2013 later.  I've got big plans! 
I, for one, am happy to see the end of 2012.  Not that it was a terrible year, but it was slightly unpredictable, starting with January and knowing that we needed to find a new house to live in.  And not knowing how we were going to find anything that was as conveniently located and large enough to fit our odd configuration of children; two teenagers, boy and girl, who each needed their own rooms, and another bedroom for the two younger boys to share.  4 bedrooms when rent is at a premium and gas prices were rising.  Again, prayers were answered (just like finding our last house!) and we found a great home in the country that is just big enough and close enough to town.  Whew!  I was feeling the stress!  We moved in at the end of March, and we love being out where the fruit trees and the garden flourish.
In January my baby Monkey turned 8 years old and was baptized on his birthday.  What an awesome day for him.

February brought my oldest son closer to being an adult than I am ready for!  He turned 17, now almost 18, and I am sad.  I'm not one of those moms who can't wait for her kids to grow up; I wish they could stay little forever!  I shared some new scrapbook pages with old, imperfect pictures of my girl with her girl cousins from both sides of the family.  I could just kiss all of those sweet faces!  Her closest cousin from Missouri is visiting us right now, and we're having fun with her!

In March we moved!  I spent most of my time unpacking and getting used to having to drive the kids to school and back for everything since we didn't live in walking distance anymore!  But here is the view from our front door, so I guess I can't complain.

April was spent getting settled, ramping up for the end of the school year, and in softball practices with the girl.

The girl promoted from 8th grade in May.  Where did the time go!!!


And the little boys are not so little anymore.


June was a lot of gardening and canning and some more softball.  The season went into July!  I also spent more time organizing the house, and started using my china hutch for scrapbooking supply storage.  The oldest two went on a three day Pioneer Trek in the mountains.






We camped in July, and spent some time in the emergency room when the eldest crashed a bike.  



And I spent a week at girl's camp with the girls...


And then school started before we knew it, and I wrote about being hopeful and scared for them.


September was boy #2's 11th birthday, and in October I got even more serious about emergency preparedness and started my 31 Days of Preparing Properly:


Including this post about my shopping trip to buy enough shelf stable food for meals for 1 week for under $60.


I promise I will finish up the 31 days this month.  Unfortunately (or fortunately!) life got in the way!

November was a school dance, spending time with family, including a QUICK visit with my Grandpa and his wife Fern, and family who came up from San Francisco and Southern CA for Thanksgiving.  

My mom came out to visit in the beginning of December, then was sick for most of her visit.  She did manage to get some shopping done, and even put curtains up in the dining area.  I was so happy to see her; everything's better with the Mama around.

We've had a fun Christmas celebration, including having my niece here from Missouri for 3 weeks and our nephew home from the Army for a couple of weeks, too.  

I'd add some more pictures, but the camera went with the older kids who are doing a Polar Bear Plunge at the local park this afternoon.  BRRRrrrr!  

We have been blessed so much this year!  Where do I even begin?  Our family, near and far, especially our kids.  Good job, callings in church, and everything else that goes with them.  Thanks for hanging in there with us through all of it! 

1 comment:

Tara said...

Happy New Year to the Bidia's! Although I do have one critique for your post....Momma prefers "Momma", not Mama :) I wrote mama once for her and she called me out on it ;) Anywho...LOVE You guys!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...