Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My One Little Word for 2013


The last couple of years I have had a "one little word" that I wanted to focus on for the year.  I think about a new one periodically, and Ali Edwards has a blogpost with a list of suggestions,  but the way I seem to choose my word is by evaluating where I am and where I want to be.  

Last year's word was THRIVE.  Love it, and even though I don't feel like I "thrived" last year, it did help me focus on the positive instead of getting stuck on the negative.    I thought of a few words along the way:  one of my favorites is "Hope";  even saying the word sounds hopeful!   The word I thought I was going to use was "Move", meaning move out of my comfort zone, or move forward, and even move my body!  And even though I really like that word, this year's word is one I've considered been thinking about a lot.  And this morning I got one of those forwarded, positive message e-mails from a friend that reinforced the word even more.  My word for 2013 is:

UP!  It's a short little word!  But there are so many ways in which it can be used!






And the e-mail I opened this morning reads like this:

If you put a buzzard in a pen that is 6 feet by 8 feet and is entirely open at the top, the bird, in spite of its ability to fly, will be an absolute prisoner.  The reason is that a buzzard always begins a flight from the ground with a run of 10 to 12 feet.  Without space to run, as is its habit, it will not even attempt to fly, but will remain a prisoner for life in a small jail with no top.
The ordinary bat that flies around at night, a remarkable nimble creature in the air, cannot take off from a  level place.  If it is placed on the floor or flat ground, all it can do is shuffle about helplessly and, no doubt, painfully, until it reaches some slight elevation from which it can throw itself into the air.  Then, at once, it takes off like a flash.
A bumblebee, if dropped into an open tumbler, will be there until it dies, unless it is taken out.  It never sees the means of escape at the top, but persists in trying to find some way out through the sides near the bottom.  It will seek a way where none exists, until it completely destroys itself. 
In many ways we are like the buzzard, the bat and the bumblebee.  We struggle about with all our problems and frustrations, never realizing that all we have to do is look up!  
That’s the answer, the escape route and the solution to any problem…
Just look up!
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, But faith looks up! Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly, And trust in our Creator who loves us.

Unfortunately, I see so many things I have in common with the lowly buzzard, bat, and even the bumblebee.  (Although if I were as industrious as the bumblebee I might be a little bit more ahead of where I am!)

I'm excited about my word for this year, and I'm hoping to go "Onward and Upward!!!"



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...